Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Monthly Feature: Cheap and Easy Chili, by Jules


 photo 5181426c-7675-41a3-ac70-1a9b5b6527b7.jpg

I always make my chili recipe when there’s not much left in the house before I buy groceries. All the ingredients in my chili are all things I always have in my pantry but never really seem to use, unless I’m making chili of course. If you do need to buy the ingredients to make this recipe it’s not much more than 10$ for a large pot. When people think of chili they think of le...tting it sit in the crock pot all day, but I make mine rite in a large soup pot. This process takes about 20 mins and you still get the savoury taste of letting it sit all day. ENJOY!

Ingredients
1 lb of ground beef (I’ve also used chicken or pork or turkey)
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of whole kernel corn
1 can of mixed beans (I get “6 bean mix” from Walmart for less than a $1)
1 green pepper (or any color you have)
1 clove of garlic (you can use garlic salt or powder if you don’t have fresh garlic)
1 small onion (or onion salt or powder)
1 or 2 celery stalks
And chili powder to taste


Directions
To make the chili, I start off with browning the beef right in my soup pot. While the meat is cooking I chop my vegetables. Once browned I add the onion, garlic, celery and pepper and cook them up with the beef to give the beef a nice flavour. Once I’ve cooked the vegetables for about 5 min I open my can of tomatoes, and pour it in. (I do not drain my tomatoes as it gives the chili a little bit of liquid) at this point is when I start adding my chili powder. I let it cook stirring occasionally until the tomatoes are pretty well dissolved which is about 10 minutes. After that’s done, the chili is pretty well done, I add the corn (drained) and the beans (drained) I let it sit for a couple more minutes until the corn and beans are heated through, then we enjoy!

Assuming you need to purchase these items, they normally run very cheap. I can get almost all the ingredients for less than $1 at my small town grocery store, you may save even more if you’re able to shop around.


 Beef 3$
Tomatoes .99$
Canned corn >.99$
Canned beans .99$
Pepper .99$
Fresh garlic .99$
Onion .99$
Celery 2$
Chili powder 2$


This recipe came from Jules L.

Thank you Jules for this delicious chili recipe! We encourage all of our readers to participate with us, visit our Facebook page to post an recipes/crafts/toddler fun ideas you have! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment