Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Taquitos (With made-from-scratch flour tortillas)!

Yesterday morning, for some reason, I got to thinking about these little frozen taquitos I bought at the grocery store when I was pregnant. I could have eaten the entire box. So good. It just so happened that I had juuuust enough for the filling, but no tortillas. By this point, I was practically salivating over the prospect of fresh taquitos, so I decided to take matters into my own hands and make my own. I had doubts on how they would turn out (I was picturing crunchy, more like chips than wraps), but I figured if they don't work, chicken nachos! Anyways, they turned out wonderfully and I will never, ever, ever buy them from the store again. The recipes are as follows.
Flour Tortillas
(This recipe should make 8, but I made a couple bigger so I only got 7)
2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. olive oil
3/4 c. boiling water
It's simple. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and stir in the wet. Use a spoon until the dough is cool enough to handle, then bring it together with your hands and turn onto a floured surface.
Knead until a smooth dough is formed. You may need to add a little more water or flour, I did not.
Let rest for 10 minutes, then separate into 8 balls and roll out as thin as possible. I rolled them as I went (as in rolled one ball and fried it, while it was frying I rolled another, etc etc)
Fry in a greased skillet over medium heat for about a minute per side. Smack down any big bubbles. Keep warm until ready to use!
Taquitos
8 tortillas
1/2 brick softened plain cream cheese
1/2 c. shredded cheddar
1/2 c. salsa
1 1/2 - 2c. shredded chicken
Hot sauce to taste (optional)
Preheat oven to 400. Line a cookie sheet with foil.
Mix all ingredients together and spread over tortillas.
Roll up tightly and place on cookie sheet seam side down.
Bake 15-20 minutes, serve with salsa and sour cream.
And there you go! So simple, so delicious, so addictive. I dare you to eat just one.

 By Mommy Jenn
 

No comments:

Post a Comment