Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Copy Cat Mcdonalds Vanilla Chai Frappe -by Mommy Melissa

This summer McDonalds came out with 2 new icy drinks. My mom told me about the vanilla chai frappe and how yummy it was so I just had to try it! That was a mistake!! It was amazing! One of the best iced drinks ever. Now James and I are always craving those creamy vanilla drinks but oh man are they expensive. Of course the snack size is just over a dollar but still, a snack size? I could drink 4 of them! I know its bad.
Anyways, it got me to thinking. It seems simple enough. I will try to make it at home.
Here is what I did and the out come? Perfect! Almost identical to McDonalds but at a fraction of the price.
This took a few hours to fully prepare so if you are going to try this, prepare in advance.

You will need
About 5 chai tea bags
2 cups (about) vanilla ice cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of cinnamon
as well as
a kettle
a tea pot
empty ice cube trays
a blender
2 glasses (or, you know, one really big one!)
2 straws

What you do

1.Boil water then steep the tea for about a half an hour to make it very strong.

2. Once it has cooled pour into the ice cube trays and freeze until they are frozen solid. Be sure to reserve some extra tea in the fridge to use later when we begin to make the frappe.

3. Place the ice cream, one tray of the chai ice cubes, vanilla, cinnamon and some of the chilled tea. Blend until smooth, continue adding the extra tea to make it thinner if you find it too thick. You could also use milk for that part if you wish.

4.Pour into your glass and enjoy. Every last bit of the vanilla-y chai-tastic goodness!

Enjoy :)
By Mommy Melissa
 photo 3mommiessig_zps86cc38de.jpg

17 comments:

  1. Tried this last night and was good. We found it to be a little watery so next time I will steep the tea in vanilla milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steeping the tea in vanilla milk is a great idea! I may just have to give it a try. Thank you for the comment and hope that you try out some of our other recipes as well. We would love to have your feedback!
      -Mommy Melissa

      Delete
  2. Vanilla milk? or soy Vanilla soy milk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that either would work. Try adding some vanilla extract to milk and letting the tea bags steep in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What chai tea bag should I get? And if I get vanilla milk do I have to get the vanilla extract?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally love Tim Horton's chai the best. Its spicier than a few other brands and has a good flavour. Add a little vanilla extract just for a more vanilla flavour in the vanilla milk. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you think it would taste if I replaced the ice cream with vanilla Greek yogurt?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't find how much water you use for the 5 tea bags...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still wondering how much water or milk you use to steep the tea in!
      It just says to boil water but not how MUCH water.

      Delete
  8. How much water to put tea bags in

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing I'm in love....best diy recipe of them all that I've tried....now I dont have to spend money at McDonald's I can make it myself 👍

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really need to include the amount of water needed...

    ReplyDelete